2.16.2013

Charlotte's Birth Story

This post is a long one, so get ready and get comfy!

We are loving our little Charlotte! She is such a joy and blessing in our lives. I remember before C came asking John, "What should we do today?" and his reply was,  "I dunno, something fun" and then we would proceed to discuss for 20 minutes about our options (Tyler, TX doesn't have the biggest entertainment selection). Now, we don't even have time to think, "What should we do today"... it is all about Charlotte and we are so grateful!

So here is a little background info to help you in understanding the events that unfolded on MLK day. When we moved to Tyler, I was about 18 weeks pregnant. I was in a desperate search for a doctor and every OB I contacted in Tyler said that they weren't taking any new patients for my due date. I was VERY discouraged, thinking "Am I supposed to deliver this baby myself?". I finally found a doctor that was located in Tyler, however, he didn't deliver and we would be required to go to Good Shepherd Hospital in Longview, TX (about an hour away from Tyler). Since I was close to needing a Dr. check-up, I decided beggars can't be choosers so we went with Dr. Wasson. It turned out to be a good experience and we actually saw his nurse practitioner more than we did him and I LOVE Brooke. Because the hospital was an hour away, I knew from the beginning that I would be induced. John and I figured this would be the safest thing and didn't have any uneasy feelings about it. I knew it would invovle pitocin and everyone told me how horrible pitocin is and that I should change my Dr. But, we still felt peace about everything and decided to just stick with the doctor. I did get to meet the Dr. that would be delivering our baby and he was very nice and reassuring.

John and I were growing more and more excited and anxious for C to arrive as the weeks passed by and my due date was getting closer. We talked about what we thought she would look like, hoping she got my nose and John's carefree, no stress outlook on life. We were excited to cuddle her and talk to her and see her personality come to life.

Sunday night, the night before my induction I was so excited and INCREDIBLY nervous. At my second to last appointment before the induction I was dialated at a 1, then the following appt. I was only a small 1.5.  John was so great at helping me stay calm and relaxed, reassuring me that we were prepared and that we could get through anything together. We had to be at the hospital at 5:00 AM, (yes, you read right), putting us leaving our apartment at 4:00 AM, meaning I would need to wake up at 3:15 to get in a shower and make sure I had everything we needed for the hospital. So the plan was that we would try and go to sleep around 8:00 PM.  Yeah, right. I was so nervous and excited that I could hardly turn my brain off. My sleeping pill did eventually kick in around 11:00 PM, so I got a few hours of sleep.

We get to the hospital at 5:10, get checked in- along with the 2 other women that were being induced- and headed up to our room. I found out that the Dr. would be in at 7:00 AM to break my water and start the pitocin. Luckily I was dialated to a 2 (small 2, but we took it) and so nothing was delayed. When a really beautiful blonde woman in a white coat came in, I was a bit confused, since the doctor I had met was a Middle Eastern man. This is when I found out that a midwife, Joni would be delivering C today. We were fine with this, since I had already been warned that I may get someone on Dr. Zied's staff instead of Dr. Zied. She had a really calming voice and was very encouraging. She breaks my water and informs me that there is some meconium in the fluid, and that she would keep an eye on her.

 My nurse that was with me was AWESOME. She asked if I was planning on getting an epidural and I said that I wanted to go as long as I could without it, but knowing myself I knew that I would probably want/need one eventually. She warned me not to let the contractions get too bad before I asked for it since it could take the epidural guy (I can't spell the actual name- laugh all you want) to get to me. After about 2 hours on the pitocin, the pain was REALLY bad and I gave in and asked for the epiduarl.

The doctor that was administering the epidural came in and we signed all the necessary legal paperwork and then went over how the procedure was done and what it would feel like. He assured me that he wasn't nervous so I had no reason to be nervous either. Which I was- I HATE needles, especially those that are going into my back near my spine! The doctor begins to administer the local anesthetic and it feels just as he said it would, a brief sting.  I was okay with that. Then he goes to put in the epidural and I am getting shooting pains down my right leg. He assured me before that I would feel pressure but should feel no pain.  I begin yelling out in pain and he stops and pulls everything out. He says that everything is okay, that he must have just brushed up against some very sensitive nerve endings. So of course now I am second guessing my decision and almost want to tell him to forget the second try. But I keep thinking that afterwards, everything will be fine and that it will be worth the few moments of fear to not be in pain. He starts again and at this point I am still bawling while trying to relax. Finally everything is done and over with and it definitely hurt more than any of the nurses or doctors said it would.

After John helps me settle down, I realize that I do feel pretty great. This lasts about 2 hours and then I start feeling the contractions, and pretty strongly. I am starting to think, "Oh no, was that all for nothing, the stupid epidural isn't even going to work??" Then more worrying ensues. Little C's heartrate drops and is very inconsistent. The nurse comes in and they lower the pitocin and that slows the labor for a bit and I am put on oxygen. When C's heartrate returns to normal and is consistent for a while, they come back in and up the pitocin to get contractions going again and get them closer together. Once again, C's heartrate drops and within a matter of seconds the nurse is in again and we continue the pitocin dance for a few more hours. I was dialated to a 5 for most of the day, finally hitting 7 around 6:00 PM. I had to lay on my side for most of the day, causing the epidural to only work on one side of my body- so I was baisically doing a half natural, half medicated labor. The pain was HORRIBLE and so intense, I finally asked my nurse (earlier in the day) if my epidural was really working. Another epidural guy (different than before) came in and checked to make sure the epiduarl was still working, involving rubbing ice down the side of my body. He assured me that it was working and all I kept thinking was "You have no freakin clue!". He offered me another type of pain medication, but went over the risks and I decided that it wasn't worth the risk if I was still going to feel the intense pain anyway.

John was a champ and help my hand through each contraction, listeing to my moaning, since that is the only way I could get through them. Those women they show on TLC that are so quiet during their contractions are incredible. Once I was at 7, I felt the full force of each contraction and their was no sugar coating the pain. C's heart rate was still unstable and Dr. Zied did come and see me. I knew this wasn't a good sign and that the talk of a C-section would be coming soon. He came and checked me, I was still at a 7 and said that he would let me go a little longer to see if C's heartrate would return to normal again. Right before the Dr. left, C's heartrate went back to normal and everything was fine.  He said he would keep an eye on her and in a few hours if I wasn't further dialated, we would be having a C-section. AFter the Dr. left, I started bawling, telling John that even though I wanted C to come safely, I was really scared of getting the spinal block after my experience with the epidural. What if it didn't work like the epidural did and I could feel everything in the surgery? John assured me that everything would be okay and there was no need to worry.

After about an hour, Dr. Zied came back in with Joni and he checked me and said, " Great, you are at a 9.5, let's start pushing!" I thought at first he was kidding and then all of a sudden there were tons of people in my room and I was finally realizing that all of the worry and work was coming to a head and that this was really happening- I was going to be giving birth, but for reals. I got a quick pushing lesson and then Joni was ready and waiting for my next contraction. I started pushing and that is when I realized how long 10  seconds really is. I thought I was going to pass out. The oxygen mask was making me so claustrophobic that I begged the nurse to let me take it off. After the next round of pushing, I finally threw the mask off. John, who was having to help hold my legs was sweet and held the mask just above my face so that I could still get the oxygen but it wouldn't get suctioned to my face every time I took a huge breath. I finally realized that I wouldn't pass out and that the strange feeling was me having to use every muscle in my body to push this little girl out. After an hour of pushing, I was told that her head was almost out and John said "She has a lot of hair!" That is when I decided to kick it into high gear and GET HER OUT! I was starving and so thirsty, after only being able to have ice chips and not being able to eat all day, but I just prayed that I would have the strength for just a few more pushes. Joni finally tells me I am almost done and I start my last round of pushes. On my very last push I ask, "Is she out??" and the nurses laugh and say, yes she has been out. I somehow missed Joni telling me she was out! My eyes were shut so tight while pushing, I had no clue. I finally hear her cry and the nurse asking John what her name is. I hear John tell them in a shaky voice that her name is Charlotte. That is when I start to tear up a bit. John never cries and knew that he felt so much love for our little girl and me. Poor little C had to have a tube stuck down her throat to suction out the meconium, but all the nurses assured us that she was fine.

They finally put Charlotte in my arms and I was overcome with so much love. I couldn't believe she was really here and that she was mine. Having C in my arms was great timing, since Joni was having to stitch up a small tear and of course the numbing meds she gave me weren't working. After everyone was gone, it was nice to have a few moments with just the 3 of us. Then our family came in to share in our joy! It was a great end to a very LONG day.

Charlotte Elizabeth Rex
7 lbs 3 oz, 19 inches long
born 10:47 PM on 1/21/2013

http://s911.photobucket.com/albums/ac313/allisonrex24/?action=view&current=IMG_0045_zpscf0828c3.jpg" target="_blank">http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac313/allisonrex24/IMG_0045_zpscf0828c3.jpg
" border="0" alt="Photobucket">
We love you miss Charlotte! Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Allison! Charlotte is so beautiful! I loved reading your birth story. You are so strong and brave and tough!

M.S. Wilson said...

Hey Allison, it's Melissa Wilson. just wanted to tell you how fabulous it was to read your story and that I was crying by the end of it. I am so happy for your family and that everyone is doing well!