9.26.2012

Amazing...

Okay, so I did blog a little bit about my student teaching experience, but mostly about the play we did and the costumes for it. I can't beleive that I never shared what an incredible group of students Springville High School has. I knew I was lucky to be able to student teach at Springville, simply on location and an awesome mentor teacher. But I soon found out that the real luck of the situation was the students. Being a theatre teacher, you can bet that every new semester, you will have at least one (and probably more) special eduation student in your classes. I was lucky enough to be able to have 3 in the 2 beginning classes I taught. I really came to love these students. They were always willing to do whatever the other students were doing, and were usually the best at the game or activity we were doing. The other students in the class were so supportive of them.


Photo from www. heraldextra.com (see link below)

I just found out that this year, one of the students I taught (or rather that taught me) was named Homecoming Queen! This student was so vivacious and everyone knew who she was and loved her. She was a hoot and a great addition to our theatre class. She did things in the class, that I didn't even know were possible! Her family was so supportive and I know they were so grateful for my mentor teacher and the lengths that she went to to have their child invovled. I am in awe of the selflessness of the Springville student body. I am sure the other senior girls who were running for homecoming queen had been waiting for quite some time to get to run for that coveted spot and had dreams of being named homecoming queen. I was really touched by the selfelss act that the student body showed, giving this student, who is really just like everyone else, a chance to shine in the spotlight. Having a sister with special needs myself, I am so grateful that in a world full of hate and selfishness, there is also an abundance of kindness and love.

Read all about the story here. Make sure you have some tissues!

Way to go Red Devils! I am proud to be in association with such a great group of students!